Monday, March 12, 2007

Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?


Gauguin went to Tahiti, but Philadelphia's just fine for me.

Welcome to my mind cracked open as I wander down the physical and metaphorical halls of art. Please feel free to join me as I muse upon the visual arts as part of the neverending voyage of self-discovery. Didn't Gauguin say (or more accurately, ask) it all when he titled his painting, "Where do we come from? What are we? Where are we going?" Aside from my beautiful wife and adorable son, art is my salvation and my greatest distraction, as well as being one of the most illuminating mirrors of the self.

I'm envisioning this blog as a repository of the little insights I come across as a passionate art history amateur as I attend exhibits small and grand as well as those gleaned from my worming through art books, blogs, and websites.

I promise to keep the tangents to a minimum, but art is never created in a vacuum. To touch upon the most dangerous tangent, I'll try to inflict as little of my politics on you as possible, but it's hard nowadays when, if you're not angry, you just ain't paying attention. I'll stop there.

Please feel free to comment at will. Shared knowledge and shared passions are what make the world go 'round.

No comments: